1999-2010

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Israel baseball blogger catches up quickly


The Mets fan who runs the 213 Miles from Shea site and recently expanded to the world scene with The Great International Pastime site has quickly brought himself up to date on the state of baseball in Israel.

The new site that explores American imperialism through the exportation of baseball to countries across the globe went up earlier his month. Earlier this week, blogger Elliott earlier this week treated the Israel Baseball League as a continuing enterprise, instead of the monumental failure it turned into. After we pointed out the error in a post titled "Israel baseball blogger arrives late to the game," Elliott got in touch and we continued in a very pleasant email exchange that led him to add our Baseball in Israel archive site to his link list and, last night, a new posting that reads in part:

The past few days have been a whirlwind of information about Israeli Baseball for me and I am just starting to get a grip on the story. When I posted… before, the information I had on the IBL came from their website. I thought it was a little strange that their last update was on February 20th, but I really didn’t think anything of it.
 My full intention… was to tell a story about conversation I had with my Israeli cousins over the weekend… they told me that they have never heard of professional baseball in Israel. I was astonished…

One of my cousins was also talking about how Americans always think that Israeli’s need some sort of distraction in their world. She went on to say that in her view, the attacks and everything around that are just events of her daily life, and she got used to them. That led me to start thinking about who’s interest are we trying to serve here.


Luckily, Sam Peters of Tabloidbaby opened my eyes to the entire issue. To literally quote part of our email correspondence:

 “A major flaw in the Israel Baseball League blueprint was its lack of
promotion among native Israelis. They were
playing to a US-based big money audience and not the punters who fill the
stands-- which is why your cousins never
heard of the league. How could that be possible?

 It is.”



This pretty much answers the question that the needs and “dreams” of the United States were really being granted in this expedition. This is a theme I hope to touch on later with the recent promotion of baseball in China.


…The IBL, albeit not officially announced on their website, will not be playing ball next year.
 This is an example of exporting of baseball that did not work.

Check out The Great International Pastime site. It promises to grow into quite an authoritative destination. As for Elliott, he’s definitely one of the good guys


UPDATE: Oy! See how factoids and disinformation spread? Now somebody set this guy straight...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"monumental failure"
stop stroking yourself will ya
give me a break

Anonymous said...

It aint over till its over. I was called today by non other than Martin Berger. He wants me to run a baseball clinic in Israel at my own expense.
He wants me to turn my back on the guys who have not been paid yet.
Nice try Martin!

Anonymous said...

"US-based big money audience"??
at 10 bucks a pop for premium seating that damn IBL really sold out for the corporate buck. And those damn IBL players signing autographs and taking pictures with the kids - terrible! Now I see why Elli and gang take such joy in trying to tear down those evil people that built this league.

Anonymous said...

Stop getting off the subject, and just answer the question: how much money was raised, and how much was spent? The league might still have its commissioner and advisory board if those questions were answered...

Anonymous said...

To the last blogger:
Why would you want that "idiot" Commissioner and "know-less" advisory board?

Anonymous said...

To the blogger above:

Maybe you want an advisory board of known and successful individuals because Larry Baras has zero credibility

But, that's all a moot point. No one will ever get paid.

Anonymous said...

zzzzzzzz...