1999-2010

Thursday, June 26, 2008

LAist's Innes interview on morning of premiere


The LAist has Bob Thompson's great interview with Neil Innes, hours before the premiere of the Innes biopic, The Seventh Python (from our pals at Frozen Pictures) at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Some highlights (though personally, we like the juxtaposition of the two photos on the webpage):

Director Burt Kearns’ previous work will probably be familiar to many in the audience, though they may not know and might not admit it: much of his resume is in tabloid TV... His experiences on the front lines of exploitation led him to write the book Tabloid Baby, which he calls “part mea culpa, part expose”, in 1999... With this film, he hopes, if not to make Neil Innes into an actual celebrity, at least to level the market share a little. Innes himself hasn’t seen the final cut of the film yet. “I’m not sure if I’ll have to walk round the theater until it’s over,” he says from his room in Hollywood. Despite any last-minute jitters, he sounds more than pleased to be here, and talks most excitedly about his latest work, including a 2007 Bonzos album, the first full-length since 1971. Being the subject of a documentary, which I presume you’ve now seen, was there anything surprising that you learned about yourself while watching it? No question, it’s one of the oddest things I’ve ever found myself doing in my life. Because it’s not my film. And it shouldn’t be my film. But it’s funny to see my friends saying nice things because they’re normally very rude to me. So it’s a little bit hard to take (laughter.) I am still naturally quite shy. But a lot of it I quite like. I think John Cleese is very funny, Phil Jupitus is very funny. But I haven't seen the final cut, I saw it when it had everything and I did say, cut it down so that someone who never knew anything about me would get something, but don't dwell on things too much. What can you tell us about the live show on Friday? Is this a band show?
I’d love to have had a band… the daft thing is, basically, I’m doing a benefit for Cinematheque. Most people come out to Hollywood to get in a movie and make a lot of money; I come to Hollywood and do a benefit for a cinema. But that’s true to form. (Laughter.) You see, Cinematheque and I have a lot in common, both of us are non-profit. No, it’ll be a one-man show. There just wasn’t time to do that sort of thing. Actually a couple of guys, Ken Simpson and Ken Thornton, are coming from Illinois… and they’ll pop up and play a bit.

Neil Innes performs in concert at the Egyptian tomorrow night. Both shows at 7:30 pm; tickets here.

No comments: