1999-2010

Monday, February 02, 2009

Death on Palisades Drive: Two open letters


In wake of the weekend accident on Palisades Drive in Pacific Palisades, California that claimed the life of a local high school student, community residents are up in arms about the dangers of a mountain road that is the heavily-traveled sole access to the Palisades Highlands community two miles from Sunset Boulevard.

Below are two open letters that have begun to circulate. The first is from the community group that's meeting tonight in its drive to force the city of Los Angeles to implement safety measures on Palisades Drive.

The second was mailed as a comment to the Los Angeles Times story about the latest fatality, 18-year-old Nick Rosser.

Open Letter to Bill Rosendahl, Councilman, 11th District and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

Re: Traffic safety – Palisades Drive and Sunset Blvd.

We are writing to request immediate action with respect to traffic safety measures on Palisades Drive, in Pacific Palisades, and Sunset Blvd., as it traverses Pacific Palisades and Brentwood.

Saturday’s unfortunate fatal accident only served as the most recent reminder that death and injuries have continued for years on these streets without implementation of safety measures.

We believe we are speaking on behalf of our entire community when we state that we require an immediate response from City officials that consists of a plan to improve safety and prevent accidents on the two subject streets. Studies and long term planning are simply inadequate at this point as we are not speaking about trying to prevent possible accidents from occurring. Rather, we need to act now because these horrendous events have already occurred and will continue until some type of action is taken. In our view, it is essential that the City be able to advise us of temporary measures that can be implemented tomorrow, the next day, and the day after that, until a satisfactory long term plan is in place.

We fully understand priorities, yet we know that the prevention of these accidents must be considered to be a concern which places it at the top of any priority list that is concerned with the health, welfare, and actual lives of the people you serve.

Signatures below

Signatories to email to Rosendahl and Villaraigosa.

**********

Nick, you are my life. You are amazing. You are still here. I just need to hear your voice just one more time. I knew something was wrong, Nick, I did, I really did. I know you are looking down on us, mainly Deven, Georgi, Tyler, Jon and I, and you will be here in my heart. Forever. I have never loved someone as much as I love you. You are my everything. You are a half of me. Nick, I had no idea your car was named after Devens mom, so when I named my car, I was just naming it to be like you. But nick, I changed his name: his name is Rex. Shay got a name change. I'll love you forever and ever and I will never forget about you. You will be here, I see you already every second of everyday. I don't know where you are, but I know you are looking down on all of us and you know everyone loves you. I'll miss you. I love you. I'm in love with you.

xoxo

You were amazing nick, you really were.
I love you, Nicholas Rex Rosser. You have my hearts full attention always. I want nothing more than to be with you right now, wherever you are. I'll always love you. I miss you, Nick, I really do. I always will. You were an amazing boyman and you were the best boyfriend, even if you didn't know it. These last three months and fifteen days have been some of the best times, and I owe it all to you, Nick, I really do. I need you know more than ever. Right now, your presence is heavier than ever before. Nick you have my hearts full attention, I'm in love with you.

You are still my boyfriend, wherever you are. You always will be. There will be no one else until I am with you again. And if there is, they will just be a stand in for you. I could never do that to you. I know you want me to be happy, but if it means staying single, I'll do that. I'll do whatever it takes to get you back, Nick. You mean the world to me.

These last three months and fifteen days were the best ever. You made my New Year's Eve the greatest one yet. You made my Halloween the greatest one yet. You made my birthday the greatest one yet. It shocks me to think that my birthday was just a mere sixteen days ago and now you're gone. You made the world happy. You made everyone smile, you made me giddy with happiness. I know that you're here right now watching me type this. I know you're here, Nick, i know you are.

You are my lover, life, everything, other half, best friend, boyfriend, future husband, and most of all, the most important person in my life. I'd give anything to be with you right now. Anything. I wish I could be up there with you, Nick, I really do. I love and miss you.

xoxoxoxox
your loving girlfriend

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the 1st "open letter"..I am a Palisades Highlands resident..and you don't speak for the community..it is unfortunate a young man lost his life on Saturday..but the road didn't cause it.

Better driver education for teen drivers would be helpful..not traffic lights or speed bumps

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with anonymous. The accident was the driver's fault, not the road's obviously. Just drive safely to avoid problems -- it's that simple.

Unknown said...

I disagree with both the content and spirit of the prior two posts. The road is hazardous--it is steep and has several blind curves. That is not to say that it can't be negotiated safely, only that it won't be, by both young and old alike. I don't know if this poor boy was speeding or not, and neither do the many who commented on this tragedy. But I do know what I see going up and down this road every day: people driving fast and distracted. Unfortunately, that won't change, but the road should.

Anonymous said...

Alison..if you feel Palisades Drive is too "steep" and dangerous to drive...get a driver or take a driving course.

ANY road is as safe as the person behind the wheel..

Anonymous said...

Palisades Drive is the most patrolled road in Los Angeles. It's got a ridiculous stoplight to hinder drivers from going fast. It's a nice, wide four-laner that is a lot less curvy than say, PCH. Highlanders already have a long commute. Let's not make it any longer, and more hazardous, with more road nannies, cops and ridiculous hinderances. An unfortunate kid drove on the wrong side of the road, apparantly at 80 MPH. We don't need to punish all the residents of the Highlands for this poor guy's suicidal behavior.

Anonymous said...

To previous poster..do NOT comment on what caused the accident this last weekend...you do not know. Even if you did....

This young man has family, so please mind your words. You have recklessly chosen yours.

I was only visiting this weekend, as I have on many occassions in the past. And as an outsider I am constantly shocked.

Speeding is by no means limited to the young and inexperienced...it seems the rule rather than the exception on that long stretch of road.

That being the case, no matter how careful YOU are, that doesn't protect you from the guy next to you, or coming in the other direction. That's what laws and traffic control are for...on this or any rd.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #1&2
till it happens to you is when you will know the pain that people must be feeling of the pain his familly is going through, sure people could drive safer but have you being a palisades residenthave most likely been on it, its dangerously curvy isnt it not? it would be really immature of me to curse you out right now, but i have enough strength to resist. there fore you are just ignorant and rude.
and i hope you dont have to expeirence this feeling his familly has ither you have kids now or will have kids in the future but me saying this, have a fucking heart and dont disrespect someone whos dead with your asshole comments. dont comment something rude about some who hass passed on u ignorant fuck!
(to whoevers blogspot this is im sorry for my language but these rude ppl piss me off >:O)